Major works to power network soon to commence
11 September 2018
Major works will soon commence to upgrade the power network in Nhulunbuy to improve the town’s industry standard power network.
These works will commence on Sunday 23 September and continue through to the end of November.
The works will improve the reliability of power supply by installing isolators throughout the power network. Once installed, the isolators will enable the power network to be divided into zones, ensuring future scheduled maintenance to the power network is able to take place with minimal impact to the town network.
What you can expect
• Power outages will be 6-8 hours in duration, between the hours of 8:00am – 4:00pm
• Your property will be affected multiple times over the duration of the project.
• Works will take place seven days a week.
• Both residential and business properties will be impacted.
• Minor trenching may occur on footpaths.
• Works will include the use of heavy mobile equipment on streets and driveways.
• Please observe the traffic management in place. Vehicle users and pedestrians are encouraged to take extra precaution during this period.
What we will do to minimise the impact to you
• Where possible, properties will not be affected for more than one consecutive day at a time.
• Where possible, outages affecting businesses will be minimised.
• For schools and essential service providers, where possible, power interruptions will be scheduled outside of hours.
How to find out when your property will be impacted
Impacted areas will be identified via a zone map. To view which zone your property is located within, please refer to the zone map on our website.
Your feedback helps
If you experience an outage that is not identified on the schedule of works, please ring the Power Outage Hotline (1800 931 377), press Option 3 and leave a message. Our answering service will deliver us your feedback in order for the project team to investigate.
Keep up to date
Subscribe to receive updates
Community enquiries and feedback hotline 1800 996 508 Operates Monday to Friday 7:00am to 3:30pm.
Power outage hotline 1800 931 377 Operates 24hrs. For information on planned outages and updates on unplanned outages
Keep up to date on service interruptions
A seven day schedule of works will be issued prior to works starting. After day one of works, a daily update via Facebook and email (for those that have subscribed for updates) will be issued so that at all times, a minimum seven day notification of outages will be provided to the public.
Seven day look ahead
Date Estimated time Zones impacted
Sunday 23 September 8:00am – 4:00pm 12, 59, 81
Monday 24 September 8:00am – 4:00pm 6, 7, 8, 9, 18, 19, 23, 24, 26, 27,61
Tuesday 25 September 8:00am – 4:00pm 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 20, 22, 25, 29,48, 69, 89
Wednesday 26 September 8:00am – 4:00pm 19, 23, 24, 26, 27, 61
Thursday 27 September 8:00am – 4:00pm 8, 7, 18, 6
Friday 28 September 8:00am – 4:00pm 3, 4, 5, 10, 29, 22, 48, 19, 24, 23,26, 27, 61
Saturday 29 September 8:00am – 4:00pm 8, 7, 18, 6, 19, 24, 26, 27, 61, 23,48, 22, 29, 10, 5, 4, 3, 9, 1, 20, 2,69, 89, 90, 25, 30, C, 80, 21
We encourage members of the community to check the schedule daily as adjustments to scheduling based on daily progress by the work crews may occur.
Rio Tinto strongly encourages all community members to keep up to date by:
• Visiting our new Facebook Page Rio Tinto Gove Operations
• Signing up to our free email subscription service at www.goveoperations.com
• Observing notices located at various noticeboards in town.
Rio Tinto acknowledge interruptions to the power supply can be frustrating, these works are an important part of our investment to improve essential services to Nhulunbuy and the peninsula and we appreciate your patience as work to complete them as safely and efficiently as possible.
Download the PDF with Zone maps:
[sdm_download id=”19916″ fancy=”0″ new_window=”1″ color=”orange”]